We like to share product recommendations with you and hope you like them! Just to make you aware Water Filter Data may collect a small share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Some of us may be lucky to live in an environment with clean and purified water at our disposal, but many others live in an environment where the municipal water supply system has not been changed in a long time.
Along with the old water supply system comes the danger caused by harmful contaminants, such as chlorine, and heavy metals like lead. Besides the contaminant infested water, comes the sulfuric odor and weird and strange taste.
So how are we supposed to fix this if we are living in an environment like this one?
Luckily for us, the water filter technology has evolved significantly in the past few years. Making the previously considered expensive and luxurious water removal filters accessible for anyone. These filters will get rid of most of the harmful contaminants while keeping your drinking water odor and taste-free, and all that without having to spend a lot of dollars.
In this following review, we will discuss some of the best choices a buyer in the water filter market has. Especially some of the best water filters for lead removal, considering that lead is one of the most frequent and harmful metals in our drinking water.
There’s a lot of great filters for lead removal on the market, so we are going to make it easier for you to choose while keeping in mind some of the most important factors about these kinds of lead removal filters.
Quick Picks for the Best Lead Water Filter
- Under Sink Filter — Frizzlife Under Sink Water System
- Pitcher Filter — Clearly Filtered Water Filter Pitcher
- Budget Friendly — Travel Berkey Gravity-Fed Water Filter
- Best Rated RO System — Home Master TMAFC-ERP
- Best for Countertop — Brita Tap Water Filtration System
- Faucet Mount Filter — iSpring DF2-CHR
All-Time Bestseller Lead Water Filter
No products found.
The options below are what we consider to be the best lead water filters on the market. For more on how we made these selections, see the “how we chose” section below.
The best thing about the Frizzlife water system is that you can install it anywhere in your home, it works as a direct connection to the waterline. The filter does its job and you will notice a difference in the water quality immediately. It removes the bad taste and the odor that mostly comes from the chlorine. The Frizzlife also removes all of the lead, while leaving the essential minerals like magnesium and calcium.
The flow rate of the filter is 2 gallons per minute, excellent for a water filter of this type. The design of the filter is simple and effective, it has a shutoff valve for keeping the water flow running even when you are installing the filter.
If you are looking for a water filter for lead removal, while being in your budget range, the Frizzlife would be an amazing choice.
Here are some Pros and Cons of the Frizzlife that are worth mentioning.
Affordable price and long-lasting filter
Easy installation and maintenance on the water filter
Noticeable difference in the water quality
The quality of the water pipes that are included in the lead removal filter doesn’t seem so great
The Filtrete filtration system can be attached to your existing water line, making it easy to install, which is the goal for a company like Filtrete, a well know and trusted company in the water filtration industry.
This Filtrete filter can last up to 1500 gallons of water and is specifically designed to remove lead and various contaminants found in municipal water.
One of the things that makes this company great is the possibility to sign up for its reminder feature. This feature allows you to get a text message from the company reminding you its time to change the filter.
Here are some of the most important pros and cons of the Filtrete Maximum Under Sink filtration system.
Besides installation, the maintenance of the filtration system is also easier than usual
Its size allows you to install it without taking a lot of your under-sink cabinet space
The flow rate remains the same even with the filter one
It doesn’t have a micron filter, which means some of the smaller size sediments can still be found in the water
The best thing about the Clearly water filter is the simplicity of the pitcher filter. There’s nothing more convenient than being able to bring the pitcher with you everywhere you go and filtrate the water along the way. The size of the water filter pitcher can hold up to 10 cups of water, so you don’t have to refill it all the time. You can fill it and put it in your refrigerator and it will last for a long time.
The filtering system can remove more than 200 harmful contaminants, including heavy metals and lead. This lead removal filter is proven to be effective and simple, so if that is what you were looking for in a lead removal filter this might be the right choice.
There are a lot of great things about the Clearly water filter pitcher, but there are some things we didn’t like and are worth mentioning.
- Eliminates more than 200 contaminants from you tap water
- The water filter can last up to 4 months
- It’s made from 100% plastic-free and food-grade materials, making it safer for water contact
- Because of the filter, the pouring of the water out of the pitcher can be rather slow
- Its size might be an issue to put in a small refrigerator
- The Woder is certified by the Water Quality Association (WQA) and also it has an NSF / ANSI certification
- It can hold up to 8000 gallons of water, plenty for regular usage of a family
- Simple installation, it connects to your existing water line and uses the existing faucet
One of the best things about the Woder water filter system is a simple installation. This is because of the small size of the filter, it is significantly smaller than most of the other filters of this type on the market. Because of its size, the Woder can fit in any kitchen without any issue. The installation takes only a few minutes since the lead removal filter connects to the existing water line.
The Woder effectively removes all of the heavy metals and lead from your tap water. Besides that it removes the chlorine that can be frequently in municipal waters, improving the taste and removing any strange odors from the water.
The longevity and effectiveness of the filter make it an attractive choice for anyone who needs a water filter for lead removal.
The Woder is filled with great features, but there were some things we didn’t like about it.
- The water flow rate does not change, this is a rarity on water filters of this type
- The simple installation and perfect size is another thing worth including
- The Woder has a selection filtration system, removing all of the harmful contaminants from the water, but keeping the healthy minerals
- It can be difficult to install on some water lines, due to its adapter size
- The water pipes didn’t seem to be made of the highest quality material
When out camping or traveling we constantly used bottled water, but since the big improvements in the water filtration industry, we can take a travel filter that will allow us to drink any tap water by removing all of the contaminants.
This Berkey travel filter has a 1.5-gallon filter that can fit in your camper with ease. The installation takes up only a few minutes, as simple as it can be.
Since this filter was designed for people who are constantly on the road, its main goal is to remove contaminants like bacteria, cysts, viruses, and most importantly lead. The filter has its spigot, so you just have to fill it with water and use the spigot at the bottom to pour in your cup or bottle.
The filter’s life can last up to 6000 gallons of water, and the maintenance is very easy. Since you don’t want any additional difficulties on your travels, the simplicity and the quality of the Berkey water filter for lead removal may be the right choice for you.
Like every other water filter, there are some pros and cons to its design, here are some of the most important ones to keep in mind.
- The quality of the material and its design is top of the line, a luxurious design and stainless steel makes the Berkey a great addition to your camper
- The tests proved the effectiveness of the Berkey, it truly does remove all of the harmful contaminants from the water
- Replacing a filter on this filtration system is very easy
- The size of the filter is perfect for your traves, as it does not take up a lot of space
- We encountered some issues with the spigot, it kept dripping if it was not turned to the right angle
Another remarkable water filter faucet filter you might be considering, this filter comes with an aerator for high powered performance and is able to boast of some very impressive specifications.It is easy to install and use. It has a flow rate of 1.5GPM and also comes with an exceptional filter life of 500 gallons. You can use it for months on end without needing to worry about replacing the filter too often at all.
This filter has three layers that are removing lead and other heavy metals, atrazine (an herbicide), arsenic, iron, asbestos, and other contaminants. This filter cartridge is held inside a plastic housing and attaches to the faucet with a metal fitting. You can choose from white, clear, or chrome, with or without an aerator.
You will get a one year warranty on buying this filter and DF2 plus lifetime technical support from iSpring. Their customer service seems to be responsive and helpful on their rating results.
- Excellent water filtration
- Simple to install
- Long lasting filter life
- Maybe a bit pricey
SpringWell Whole House Lead And Cyst Removal System
- The SpringWell filtration system successfully removes 99% of all know harmful contaminants and heavy metals from your drinking water
- It has a 0.5-micron filter included that helps in removing sediments like sand, dirt, and improving the taste and odor
- The system uses a LED indicator to let you know when the filters need replacing
- The manufacturer offers a 6-month risk-free guarantee. If you are not satisfied with the product they will replace it or refund the money
All of those great features make the SpringWell a top contender when choosing the best water filter for lead removal on the market. Besides all of the features above, the Springwell has a simple installation with the help of the manufacturer’s DIY videos.
The performance of the water filter proved to be very effective in doing its job, removing all of the contaminants even the sedimentation thanks to the 0.5-micron filter that is included in the filter. The testing proved a significant reduction in lead, chlorine, and bacteria in the water.
Besides the 6 months risk-free warranty, the manufacturer includes a lifetime warranty on all of the filter’s components.
There are a few things we can include in the pros section in this system and something we didn’t like.
- The manufacturer has a great customer support service
- The installation of the system is simple with the help of the manufacturers DIY videos and very clear documentation
- There’s no change in the water flow rate and water pressure
- The manufacturer offers some great additional features that we feel should be included in the basic model of the lead removal filter
- The Brita filtration systems are attached to your faucet, install it in minutes without the requirement of tools
- The filter removes more than 60 harmful contaminants including chlorine, metals, and most importantly lead
- The filter’s life can last up to 100 gallons before it needs replacing
The simplicity of the Brita is it’s the best feature, just by adding the filter to the end of your faucet you are getting clean purified water. There’s no installation, no tools needed, this filter model is one of the most convenient we stumbled upon.
The filter does an amazing job in removing the contaminants, it has an extra sediment filter layer that is used to remove all solids that are associated with lead, like heavy metals. The maintenance of the system is also very easy, you won’t need more than a minute to replace the filter, but that isn’t something to worry about when the filter’s life is 100 gallons of water.
Here are some of the pros and cons worth mentioning.
- Simple maintenance and installation
- Reasonable price of the filtration system
- It has an extra layer for sedimentation removal
- Test have proved the improvement it makes in the quality of the water
- The basic design options. The Brita filter only comes with one design, and that is basic white
- This type of system offers 7 stages of filtration combined with a Reverse Osmosis tank that ensure every contaminant is removed
- The size of the Home Master is only 15” tall, making it possible to fit in almost every under sink cabinet
- The manufacturer made sure that the installation of the system won’t be difficult, making it possible for the owner to install it, instead of spending additional money on calling a professional plumber
Lead can be difficult to remove from your water supply, but thanks to the Home Master that issue is solved with ease. The 7 stage filtration system it provides makes sure that you have the purest and cleanest drinking tap water.
The Reverse Osmosis filtration system requires to discharge all the water that didn’t make it through, but the Home Master has lowered the amount of wastewater significantly. That’s because it uses a non-electric permeate pump.
The installation is made very easy, everything you need to install it all by yourself is included in the package. The instructions are very clear and even if you can’t manage it on your own, Home Master provides telephone customer support and educational online videos.
The water testing has proved that the Home Master removes 97% of all sediment contaminants, including heavy metals, and lead.
So if you want a very effective lead removal system, it doesn’t get any better than this.
With all that being said, there are some things we didn’t like about the Home Master RO filtration system.
- The size of the filter makes it possible to fit in almost everywhere, unlike most of the other RO systems on the market
- Impressive testing. This is by far the most important feature in a lead removal water filter, and the Home Master does not disappoint
- You might notice a little difference in the water flow rate
- The system sometimes can be loud when in regeneration mode
WaterChef C7000 Premium Countertop Water Filtration System
- Proven reduction of 99% of all known harmful contaminants
- Long-lasting filter life of 1000 gallons of water
- The system has a built-in monitoring device calculating how much water has run through the filter
- It has an NSF / ANSI certification
The WaterChef C7000 isn’t a regular countertop water filtration system. Most of these kinds of systems need a tank to store water, and it needs to get refilled when empty. Not the WaterChef, this filtration system connects directly to your water supply line, allowing you to have unlimited clean and purified water.
This filtration system will remove all known contaminants while making the water softer, meaning you will get health benefits to your skin even when you are washing your dishes.
The filtration system uses a Big Block filtration system, this type of system is specifically designed for removing lead out of your drinking water. The testing proved that it removes 99.99% of contaminants like heavy metals, lead, and many more.
Here are some pros and cons worth mentioning about the WaterChef C7000 lead removing filter.
- It doesn’t take a lot of space from your countertop due to its small size
- Easy installation since it only requires a connection to your existing water supply line
- It has a lifetime warranty by the manufacturer on all parts for any defect that can occur
- The usage monitor runes on battery and the battery life are incredibly short, it needs to be changed every 24 hours.
There are plenty of great filters for lead removal on today’s market, so how do you know which one is the best for you? Lucky for you, we are here to help.
Since most of us use municipal waters and some of them are faulty with lead pipes and their maintenance isn’t very frequent we can commonly find lead in our water. Every household is different in terms of water supply and has different challenges, so take this into consideration when making this decision.
- You could go for an under-sink filtration system if you are in need of a quality water filter for lead removal. This is one of the most common choices for people, it offers quality purified water, with simple installation and a reasonable price
- Another choice is the water filtration pitcher. This is by far the simples water filter for lead removal, it offers you quality purification, it is the cheapest choice, you can take it with you everywhere, and might be the right choice if your household usage of tap water isn’t that big.
- Whole-house filtration systems. If you are dealing with supply water that has no municipal purification, this type of system is the right choice. The whole-house filtration system purifies the water before it reaches your faucet or shower, so you have quality water everywhere in the house. This system has its cons, it’s an expensive system and the installation can be difficult.
Is Getting A Filter For Lead Removal Less Expensive Than Buying Filtered Water?
Yes, if you are constantly buying filtered water for your home the costs will add up. Buying a water filter for lead removal considering the quality of the model and the type of filter has a long-lasting life, so you are paying once for the filter and later on for filter change.
Where Can I Find Which Filters For Lead Removal Are Certified?
You can find all of the information on the NSF / ANSI website, they have most of the water filters for lead removal in their database.
Should I Get A Filter For Lead Removal For My Water Supply Line Or should I Get A Pitcher For Lead Removal?
This depends on the usage of water in your household. Some people are attracted to the simplicity of the pitcher filters, but others think the filter for your water supply line is better. In the end, this choice depends on you since the effect is the same, and models from both types of filters remove all of the contaminants from the water. If the cost of the product is the deciding factor then the pitchers are more budget-friendly filters.
What Are The Harmful Effects Of lead In Your Drinking Water?
The most vulnerable to lead are infants, young children, and fetuses. A dose of lead would have a bigger impact on a child than on an adult. In children, the exposure to lead has been linked to significant damage to the peripheral and central nervous system, which means damage to their learning abilities, impaired hearing, shorter stature, and impaired function of blood cells.
Lead can be particularly dangerous to pregnant women as well, this can lead to premature birth and reduced growth of the fetus. In adults, lead can be harmful too, if exposed to lead you can suffer from decreased kidney function, cardiovascular effects like increased blood pressure and hypertension. Reproductive problems are also a common issue for adults affected by lead, and this happens in both men and women.
With all that being said, we think we proved our point of the harmful effects of lead.
When lead is present in your water, there are a variety of other harmful heavy metals and contaminants as well. So the right solution to this would be using a water filter. They are proved effective in removing 99% of all the harmful contaminants, and by doing this you will see the benefits in your health.
There are a lot of great water filters on the market right now, so when out shopping for yours, keep in mind the features that we mentioned earlier. Those features might make your decision a lot easier.